- Find Your Major
- Academic Units
- Apply Now
OSU AVED Safety Management Systems
Commitment to Aviation Safety Management Systems: Dean's Letter
Our program has four components which are a consistent application of the FAA mandated SMS programs for air carriers:
- A Safety Policy that defines and describes OSU’s safety posture and desired safety culture. (Emergency Response Checklist)
- Safety Risk Management processes through which internal and external stakeholders to the OSU Aviation & Space program identify and evaluate regulatory changes, safety recommendations and individual submissions in our safety reporting system, especially those contributing to trending data.
- Safety Assurance processes to ensure the prompt and appropriate incorporation of changes arising from new regulations and safety recommendations; and
- Safety Promotion in the form of ongoing engagement with our students and staff.
Safety Reporting Forms
OSU AVED Safety Reporting Form (electronic)
Follow-Up Action (Please document what actions or notifications you have taken in regard to your submission. This is especially important if your report suggests a downing aircraft status should be the result of your safety report.)
OSU AVED Safety Reporting Form (paper)
If you think that it is hazardous, please invest in your program. We want to hear about! Print the form, fill it out and deposit the form into the Safety Suggestion Box at the OSU Flight Center.
OSU AVED Safety Committee
At the beginning and end of the Fall/Spring semesters, the OSU Safety Committee (comprised of (1) ProPilot Faculty; (1) Aviation Management Faculty representative; Flight Program Manager; Chief Flight Instructor; Assistant Chief Flight Instructor; Maintenance Director (or Assistant Maintenance Director); (1) Lead Student Dispatcher; (1) CFI Check Airmen; (1) ProPilot students who possess COMM/INST certificates; and (1) Aviation Management student) will meet to discuss SMS submissions, current concerns and issues. Of critical concern will be trending data which will also include recommendations for mitigation of risk to the program and the safety of our students. All pertinent safety reports will be de-identified and disseminated to the OSU AVED community with the Safety Committee’s recommendations to the AVED Faculty, Flight Instructors, Staff and Students. Additionally, recommendations will also be posted on the AVED webpage.
2019-2020 Safety Committee Members
- FC Leadership (either Manager, Chief Instructor, Assistant Chief Instructor)
- Maintenance Director/Assistant Director – (Member-at-Large)
- CFI Check Airman – TBD
- Pro Pilot Faculty / Safety Committee Chair – Dr. Matt Vance
- Aviation Management Faculty – Dr. Chad Depperschmidt
- Lead Student Dispatcher – Tommy Spedding
- Aviation Management Student – Brandon Bihm
- Flying Aggies Safety Officer – Jeff Rodzon
- Pro Pilot Student who possesses COMM/INST Certificates – David Koch