Flying Aggies Capture First Place at Regional Competition
Wednesday, October 29, 2014
The Oklahoma State University Flying Aggies Flight Team placed first in the 2014 National Intercollegiate Flying Association SAFECON Region VI Competition, held in Warrensburg, Mo., October 19-24. By winning the competition, OSU secured a place in the national competition in May 2015 in Columbus, Ohio.
OSU defeated six other schools to win the competition and become the only Oklahoma school to earn a place at nationals. Team members are captain Jake Akin, co-captain Michael Parisi, Paul Downing, Garrett Quinby, Lucy McCollom, Max Maroney, Tyler Sherrick, Devon Haith and Muhammad Thiam. Rick Gladden and Jade Schiewe serve as coaches and Dr. Jon Loffi, assistant professor in aerospace administration and operations, is the faculty advisor for the Flying Aggies.
OSU totaled 451 points overall and 289 in flight events. Competition events included E6B (flight computer) accuracy, Simulated Comprehensive Aircraft Navigation (SCAN), Navigation, Aircraft Recognition, Short Field Approach and Landings, Power off Landings, Message Drop, Ground Trainer, and Aircraft Preflight Inspection.
School Overall Ranking Points
1. Oklahoma State University 451
2. Kansas State University - Salina 425
3. University of Nebraska - Omaha 421
4. Southeastern Oklahoma State University 397
5. University of Central Missouri 345
6. Parks College of St. Louis University 256
7. University of Oklahoma 195
School Flight Events Ranking Points
1. Oklahoma State University 289
2. University of Nebraska - Omaha 281
3. Kansas State University - Salina 234
4. Southeastern Oklahoma State University 219
5. University of Central Missouri 177
6. Parks College of St. Louis University 145
7. University of Oklahoma 123