- Find Your Major
- Academic Units
- Apply Now
STLES Graduate Student Travel Grants
Travel grants are:
- awarded to graduate students who have been accepted to present, as sole or co-presenter, at a local, regional or national professional conference,
- competitive due to limited funds, and priority is granted by order of authorship (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.), type of conference (national, regional or local), and type of presentation (paper, poster, etc.),
- awarded once in the Fall semester (applications due the last Friday of October) and once in the Spring semester (applications due the last Friday of March),
- only able to be offered as reimbursements upon return from the conference.
To apply for a travel grant, complete this online application. Award notifications will be emailed to applicants 2 to 3 weeks after the application deadline.
Tips for finding additional funds:
- Apply for travel funding through the Graduate and Professional Student Government Association (GPSGA)
- Check with the conference planning committee to find out if they offer registration fee waivers for graduate students who qualify and to see if they have available scholarships or travel grants for graduate students. Many do!
Tips for conferencing on a budget:
- Avoid staying in the official conference hotel and check out alternative rooming possibilities like Airbnb or Home Away. These are usually much cheaper and often have kitchens, which can make the cost of food quite a bit cheaper, too.
- Check with other graduate students or professors attending to find roommates and travel buddies.
- If you don’t know others attending, check with the conference planning committee to see if they offer ways for participants to connect to find ride or room shares.
- If you’d really like to present, but are unable to afford to go, ask your session chair if you can videoconference in to your session.