Master's in Counseling
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is the Counseling program accredited?
Yes. Both the mental health counseling and school counseling options are accredited by the Council for Accreditation for Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
- Can I work full-time and complete either of the Counseling degree program options?
- Can I complete the program as a full-time or part-time student?
Yes. To be considered full time, a graduate student must be enrolled in at least nine hours in either fall or spring semester and at least four hours during the summer sessions.
- Is there financial aid available to help me pay for this program?
Students who enroll full-time in the Counseling program may be eligible for departmental financial aid in the form of tuition waivers and a limited number of graduate assistantships. Part-time employment opportunities both on and off-campus are also generally available. Currently enrolled graduate students eligible for annual scholarships awarded through the College of Education and Human Sciences.
- Will I have to take all of my classes on the main (Stillwater) campus?
All courses for both options are offered on both the Stillwater and Tulsa campuses. Students admitted to the program may take classes on either campus. A shuttle bus (BOB) is available to students commuting to either campus for classes. Students are charged a nominal fee to ride the bus.
- How long will it take to complete the Counseling degree program?
Students who enroll full-time can complete either of these programs in 2 – 3 years. Students are expected to complete the requirements for a graduate certificate, master’s or specialist degree within seven years from first enrollment after admission to the graduate program.
- What is the admissions application deadline?
August 25th and January 25th
- What materials will I need to apply?
- GRE and/or MAT scorers are not required.
- Transcripts from all colleges attended
- 2-3 page statement of professionally-related experiences and goals
- Three recommendation letters (from instructors, university advisors, professional supervisors)
- Resume or curriculum vita
- Is there a minimum GRE or MAT score required to apply for the Counseling program?GRE and/or MAT scores are not required.
- Is there a minimum GPA required to apply for the Counseling program?An undergraduate GPA of at least 2.75 and a graduate GPA of at least 3.25 (if applicable) are recommended for admission to this program.
- Can I become a licensed or certified counselor after finishing the Counseling program?
The curriculum in the Mental Health Counseling option is designed to meet the academic requirements set forth in the regulations of the Oklahoma Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) Act. After obtaining 3,000 hours of supervised, post-degree experience, and a passing score on the LPC test, graduates are eligible for licensure as professional counselors in Oklahoma. The coursework for the School Counseling Option is designed to meet the school counselor certification requirements for the State of Oklahoma. School Counseling students who wish also to pursue licensure as a professional counselor must complete a total of 60 hours of coursework that meet the content requirements of the licensing board (rather than just 57 credit hours). They must also work closely with their advisor and advisory committee in the selection of appropriate practicum and internship sites.
- Where do graduates of the Counseling program typically find employment?Graduates who complete the Mental Health Counseling option have found employment in child/adolescent guidance centers, community mental health clinics, domestic violence centers, rehabilitation centers, youth and family services, hospital and private practice. Graduates who complete the School Counseling option become counselors in public and private schools serving students, teachers and parents.
- Who should I contact if I have additional questions about the Master’s degree program?
The program coordinator for the Mental Health Counseling and School Counseling programs is Dr. Tonya Hammer. Her email address is email@example.com.