Safety Management Systems
Our program has four components which are a consistent application of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) mandated Safety Management Systems (SMS) programs for air carriers.
- Safety policy that defines and describes OSU’s safety posture and desired safety culture, including an emergency response checklist
- Safety risk management process through which internal and external OSU Aviation and Space Program stakeholders identify and evaluate regulatory changes, safety recommendations and individual submissions in our safety reporting system, especially those contributing to trending data.
- Safety assurance processes to ensure the prompt and appropriate incorporation of changes arising from new regulations and safety recommendations
- Safety promotion in the form of ongoing reengagement with our students and staff.
Safety Reporting Forms
If you think something is hazardous, please let us know.
The OSU Safety Committee is comprised of:
- Professional pilot faculty representative (1)
- Aviation management faculty representative (1)
- Flight program manager (1)
- Chief flight instructor (1)
- Assistant chief flight instructor (1)
- Maintenance director or assistant maintenance director (1)
- Lead student dispatcher (1)
- Certified flight instructor check airmen (1)
- Professional pilot students who possess COMM/INST certificates (1)
- Aviation management student (1)
The committee meets at the beginning and end of the fall/spring semesters to discuss Safety Management Systems submissions as well as current concerns and issues. Of critical concerns is trending data, which also includes recommendations for mitigation of risk to the program and safety of our students. All pertinent safety reports will be de-identified and disseminated to the OSU aviation community with the Safety Committee’s recommendations to the aviation faculty, flight instructors, staff and students. Additionally, recommendations will be posted to the aviation and space webpage.
2019-2020 Safety Committee Members:
- FC Leadership (either Manager, Chief Instructor, Assistant Chief Instructor)
- Maintenance Director/Assistant Director – (Member-at-Large)
- CFI Check Airman –Gage Truett
- Professional Pilot Faculty/Safety Committee Chair – Matt Vance
- Aviation Management Faculty –Mallory Casebolt
- Lead Student Dispatcher – Tommy Spedding
- Aviation Management Student – Tyler Nelson
- Flying Aggies Safety Officer – Tara Serocki
- Pro Pilot Student who possesses COMM/INST Certificates – Jared Freihoefer