Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions


  • Who should I contact for more information about the graduate degrees in Higher Education and Student Affairs at OSU?
  • Are test scores required for application to the degree programs in Higher Education and Student Affairs?

    Application for our master’s degrees no longer requires exam scores. Application to our PhD program requires official scores less than five years old from one of the following:

    • The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) verbal, quantitative and writing sections
    • The Miller Analogies Test (MAT)
    • The Graduate Management Analogies Test (GMAT)
    • The Law School Admission Test (LSAT).

    PhD applicants are often concerned about taking admissions tests when they have been out of school for an extended period of time. Because many of our PhD students are working professionals, our doctoral program does not use cut-off test scores for admissions; rather, our faculty use a holistic admissions process that considers all of the application elements as a whole and that has been shown to be predictive of student success in our PhD program.

  • How are classes offered? What is the format? What expenses are included?

    Courses are taught in a variety of modes depending upon the course content and the degree program. Possible formats include hybrid (combination of face-to-face instruction and online instruction), online and traditional face-to-face courses. Courses may also be offered in eight-week, 16-week, weekend or other alternative delivery modes. The MS degree in Higher Education is 100 percent online delivery, although you may choose to access some courses in alternative face-to-face sections.

  • Where are courses offered?

    If there are sufficient numbers of qualified students, it is the intent of the HESA faculty to admit students to the Higher Education and Student Affairs PhD program on a three-year rotation in the OKC metro area. Students are admitted to the Stillwater campus each year. Information about international programs should be sought from Dr. Steve Wanger. PhD applicants who are interested in starting their degrees outside the established rotation may seek admission and take courses at another location or seek special student status from the OSU Graduate College; consultation with a faculty advisor is recommended.


    Students in the college student development program take courses at the Stillwater campus and, occasionally, online. Master’s students in higher education take courses 100 percent online, although some courses have face-to-face sections available.

  • Can I complete any of the degrees in Higher Education and Student Affairs at the OSU-Tulsa campus?

    Higher Education and Student Affairs degrees are not currently admitting students at the OSU-Tulsa campus. However, Tulsa-area students may be admitted to our online MS degree in Higher Education. Students may also choose to take courses in other locations; consultation with a faculty advisor is recommended.

  • What are the application deadlines?

    The annual application deadline for the PhD program is March 15 (or the next business day if March 15 falls on a weekend). Occasionally, faculty offer alternative application deadlines; please contact Dr. Steve Wanger to inquire about alternative deadlines.


    The master’s degree programs admit students on a rolling basis throughout the year (see applications materials for specific dates). However, Feb. 1 is the priority deadline for Graduate Assistantship opportunities.


    ALL application materials/documents for all degree programs must be received by established deadlines. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.

  • What types of financial aid or other assistance are available for HESA graduate students?

    General information about financial aid and scholarships at OSU is available online. The College of Education and Human Sciences also offers scholarships to support students in our programs. For fullest consideration, applicant information is due via the college scholarship application by January 4. The Higher Education and Student Affairs PhD program has additional scholarships for advanced PhD students, including the Kamm Fellowship that uses a fall application cycle. More information is available from program faculty members.


    OSU graduate students may also be eligible for need based, non-need based, and other loans. These loans are available federally or privately. More information about graduate student loans at OSU can be found here.

  • What is a graduate assistant?

    A graduate assistant serves in a support role for OSU faculty or administrators while completing a post-graduate education. A graduate assistant can assist with instructional responsibilities as a graduate teaching assistant (GTA) or with research responsibilities as a graduate research assistant (GRA). Graduate assistants can also aid coaches with an athletic team, or be employed by other university departments across campus (such as residence life or academic advising) in an entry-level capacity. Assistantships provide practical experience for graduate students, thus increasing their future employment options.


    OSU graduate assistantships are available for students at the master’s and doctoral levels. All graduate assistantships provide a monthly stipend as well as tuition and health insurance.  Students on a graduate assistantship are responsible for paying all student fees.


    Please note: Many departments who hire graduate assistants from our master’s programs interview their top applicants during an Interview Days Event each spring.  To receive fullest consideration for these positions, please submit your application before January 31 and follow all deadlines posted by hiring departments. For more information, please contact Dr. Amber Manning-Ouellette.  


    Click here for more information about graduate assistantships in OSU Student Affairs.

  • Are assistantships available within the Higher Education and Student Affairs program?

    Students who are interested in applying for an assistantship through the HESA Program, to support a faculty member with his or her teaching and/or research, should contact the program coordinator to express their interest.

Back To Top