Our program has several competitive graduate teaching assistantship (GTA) opportunities. Applicants seeking an assistantship should indicate this on their Graduate College application, and articulate their qualifications on their resume/CV and in the Goals Statement. Some of our recurring assistantships include the following:
OSU Writing Project
The OSU Writing Project is a site of the National Writing Project, an organization of teachers who engage in teacher-lead professional development around writing instruction.
- Minimum Requirements: Interest in collaborating with inservice teachers for professional development, strong organization and communication skills, independent worker who takes initiative on tasks and projects
- Preferred Qualifications: Experience teaching writing in elementary or secondary schools, experience with writing process approaches to instruction, experience leading professional development with inservice teachers
Randal and Carol White Reading and Mathematics Center
Assisting faculty and students with weekly tutoring practicum courses in literacy and mathematics education. Requires regular communication with families and community members.
- Minimum Requirements: Reading, literacy, English education, or LLC experience or interest.
- Preferred Qualifications: 3 years of U.S. teaching experience in elementary reading and literacy or secondary English education.
Teaching - American Stories: Diverse peoples in young adult literature
- Minimum Requirements: English degree, English/American literature coursework or background knowledge, knowledge of literary analysis, or equivalent.
- Preferred Qualifications: Teaching experience, experience teaching young adult literature.
Teaching - Elementary Education literacy courses (various)
- Minimum Requirements: 3 years of U.S. teaching experience in elementary/middle school reading, literacy, or language arts.
- Preferred Qualifications: hold a current U.S. elementary/middle school teaching certificate.
Teaching - Intro to K-12 English Language Learners
- Minimum Requirements: 3 years of elementary or secondary teaching experience with English learners/emergent bilinguals; a bi/multilingual speaker.
- Preferred Qualifications: 3 years of US K-12 teaching experience with English learners/emergent bilinguals.
Teaching - Secondary English Education - University field supervisor
- Minimum Requirements: Secondary school teaching experience, a reliable vehicle and U.S. driver’s license, hold a current U.S. secondary English teaching certificate or be able to obtain one.
- Preferred Qualifications: 3 years of U.S. English language arts teaching experience.